Re: [LIST] Idea / Request

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 04/21/98

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Chuck Reed wrote:

> I really think that there should be two circle mailing lists.  One for
> novice coders/admins where they can ask those stupid questions that get
> flamed here.  I understand that this list is not for coders who have never
> read a C book, and I understand why they get flamed.  However, there is no
> place (that I know of) where these people can go to get guided in the right
> direction (without flames).  Now, I'm asking if anyone out there would be
> willing to set up a NEWBIE CircleMUD Mailing List.  I think it would really
> benifit those just starting and people here would get less BS that they
> don't want to see.

There is already a moderated CircleMUD mailing list that I'm on, and
there is little to no traffic on the list. There's so little mail on it,
that I sometimes wonder if it's still around.

Basically, I don't think that making a whole new forum for CircleMUD
discussion would benefit the advancement and improvement of CircleMUD. We
need "fresh blood" tossed into the pot or its going to get stale.
Unfortunately, that fresh blood can sometimes be nasty to handle.

What I'm trying to say is that new people mean new ideas, but we have to
bear with them past their "newness". Chuck, I remember your first 4 to 5
posts and the countless flames that followed them. Since then, you've
matured as a CircleMUD admin and have contributed some good ideas.

If you don't like the newbieish questions, then delete the mail. You have
total control over what you do and don't read. If a thread or subject
doesn't interest you, delete it.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

  -- Arthur C. Clarke