Re: Circlemud design issues

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 04/21/98

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, James Turner wrote:

> > I'm 'so rabidly against change' because 3.0 isn't supposed to have major
> > design changes.  When we finally move on to further versions, people can
> > submit whatever they like to be considered for inclusion. That includes
> > things you write, I write, and anyone else.  And on the contrary, I've
> > never insulted you personally.
>
> Your tone from the beginning has been adversarial, confrontational, at
> times demeaning, and very closed minded.  I am sorry if you've fealt
> my comments have attacked you, your code, or the work of anyone else
> -- that has not been the intention, and I don't think that anyone
> feels that that has been the result.  But we _do_ need to discuss
> these things, and Circle's future needs to be well planned.
> Development isn't a step-based thing... we need to constantly be
> looking ahead into future versions.

James,
        I've been lurking in the background on this thread because I've
really not had much to say on the matter as I don't have much time to give
to others or the public on design issues so I thought it best to not step
into something that I can't follow through on.
        While reading this thread, I've noticed that you have come through
with some very good (and some contriversial) ideas. Some have been
agreeable, while others are not. Please accept that and stop beating a
dead horse. We all can't have all of our ideas accepted all of the time.
The points that you made and ideas that you brought forth were either
greeted with one of two reactions:

1) Good idea, we'll consider it for post-beta Circle.
2) Bad idea for Circle (maybe not for other projects, but we're dealing
with Circle), and here's why it's bad for Circle.

        Of course, the "good idea" response was happily accepted and those
points dropped by the wayside and were duly noted as "good." The "bad
idea"  responses you replied to and argued your points with the same
redundant ideas that have been said over and over. The few new arguments
that you have put forth struck me the "grasping at straws" kind of ideas.
        Please accept the fact that those people that are diligently
working to improve Circle will not approve of everything that you have to
suggest. I would love it if some of my ideas (mutli-zone weather patterns)
were tossed into Circle, but I'm not pressing for it. What little I have
had to give, I gave and if they decide not to use it, then I can live with
it. Why can't you? Please, let it go. You have spoken your case. Now let
those that are working on Circle stop bickering and get back to doing what
they do best: code.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

  -- Arthur C. Clarke