Re: [RELEASE] Wilderness/ASCII Mapping System

From: Alex (fletcher@DEMOCRACY.QUEENSU.CA)
Date: 06/18/98

> PS: The following part of your 'license agreement' is very unreasonable.
>
> > 3) You must credit me on the screen displayed when a user first connects
> >   to whatever mud this code or the ideas within it are used on.

Yes, it is unreasonable, but not for particularily for the reasons you
describe.  The unreasonable part is the last little bit, specifically
'or the ideas within it are used'.  The reason this is unreasonable is
as follows:
  - Ideas are aplenty, and to be honest, I've seen this idea (with
    similar implementation) two or three times before at the least.
  - If I look at your code and go 'oh, hey, that's a good idea, but
    it needs to be changed', and proceed to write everything from
    scratch according to my new ideas (which may have been based off
    of your idea, or even the idea of wilderness in general), then
    a) I'm not using any of your code, and b) I'm using an idea that
    isn't yours primarily anyway, so at most, you'd get a mention in
    'credits'.

> If I ever feel like doing something similar and use your idea as a base to
> code from, you'll get an entry in the credits file, but not on my login
> screen.

> Only the DIKU team and Jeremy Elson have rights to connect screen.
Anyone can put that in their license agreements.  If you use the code,
you have to respect it.  Simple as that.

Ae.