Re: Clip Dependant weapons

From: Chuck Carson (chuck@EDEN.COM)
Date: 06/24/98

The Mighty Mighty Bosstone wrote:

> Ive seen the ranged weapon gun code. But its not what im looking for. I
> would like to see a gun code that invlved clips. You would have to go to
> a store buy a clip type load and whala you ammo... Ive seen it done but
> is it released?

I started to code a futuristic mud where I had this type of system.
What I did was add several new variables to the object structure,
mainly increasing the value[4] array to value[8].

Then for the weapon item types, I used one of these new slots to hold
a bit if the gun had a magazine in it, and if so, the next slot
contained
how many bullets it had. Then your load/reload commands do all the
necessary
checks like ammo type, size, and all that stuff. I got weapons working
pretty good but once I got deeper into this mud, I ran into a lot of
'brick walls' when trying to implement stuff. The circle combat system
is
not structured well for a system of this nature. I wanted to implement
cyclic rates, the ability to fire off several shots per round, delayed
grenades, and all that stuff and I just lost interest in the whole
project.

To do a realitic setting with futuristic stuff, you would need to redo
the whole combat system primarily the thac0, saving throw, and AC
system.

I also ran into a problem with mob AI, in a sense, since guns all have
long ranges (well, longer than 1 mud room) you can shoot mobs in other
rooms but getting the mobs to engage you from another room or enter your
room is possible but the method I came up with was real 'crusty' I like
call it. It just seemed like a shitload of code for a small portion of
the combat system.

WC