Re: [THREAD] Fairness in Circle [*ouch*]

From: Del (caminturn@EARTHLINK.NET)
Date: 06/26/98

Tony Robbins wrote:

> At 06:56 PM 6/25/98 -0400, you wrote:
>
> Your direction is that I'm obligated to supply you with code so that every
> player on Earth is happy.  You're not even answering the question but

What???

My direction was never to imply ANYONE should write any code! I only pointed
out that if code is written and posted for all to use. Don't expect anything
in return (with the exception of acknowledgement that the code was written by
the author and possibly notification of use as per the license agreement).
That brings up the point there too, if you use it follow the license
agreement, which does not say that you must write code and post it in return.
Yes there are many out there that help others, and many out there that do
not. All I was saying is "It is fair to use code and not give anything back
in return". But how often does that actually happen? Even if you post one bug
report, you are giving something back. You let the author know that there is
a problem somewhere and helping to make the code better.

> Lack of support?  I don't feel that I'm stretching when I say that the
> CircleMUD community is one of the most newbie friendly coding communities
> that there are.  It's just that newbies need to do some work on their end,
> too.

Yea right! most friendly newbie coding community my arse! Way to many times I
see RTFM, etc.. instead of trying to teach the Newbie how to find his own
answers!

> >Even if all newbies go out and buy a C book (for beginners), read ALL
> >the docs that come with mud, read all the FAQ's, etc... They still will
> >not understand it.
>
> Pure assumption.  I did not learn how to code until I bought a C book.  I
> learned.  I even did a couple "Hello world." proggies to start with.
> Silly?  Maybe.  Necessary?  Definitely.

I don't care how much 99% of the people in the world read, if they read a
book on something (for example Coding C) they will not understand it all.
Even you think its a requirement to get out there and code some, practice or
what ever. That is NOT an assumption.

> The man (or woman) who invented the wheel knew only that it was hard to
> drag square things.  It's by testing that the wheel was created, and, with
> a slight stretch of the imagination, you'll see that you have to test
> things yourself before you'll actually learn something.

How many years did it take before man could FLY? When was the wheel created?
I guess with a little imagination, man was trying to figure out how to fly
for thousands of years since creating the wheel. Testing over and over, still
may not get some people in the right direction. With one project I am working
on, I don't know where to begin. Maybe in a few years I will. If I ask on
here, I might be able to figure it out in a few weeks, or I might get "read a
book".

> Whoa, nellie!  You can't complain about the quality of another list and
> blame it on this one.  Very ridiculous, indeed.

I was not blaming this list for anything. I only stated that because I saw a
few messages on here to newbies, refering them to the newbie list. Well, I am
informing you and everyone else that the list seems a little quiet lately.
That does NOT mean they will not get a response by any means. (oh, where do
you think the people came from to start that list? AOL? I guess we can blame
AOL and Compuserve for this problem too?)

> There are two attitudes:  one of them is that people need to learn to code
> for themselves, and that the list is a place to ask questions which
> influence the learning how to code.  The other is that as a member of the
> list, everybody is obligated to inform you how to code whatever you want.
> Now, you can tell from the slant of this message where my stance is.

 Attitude 1:
 I dont know how to code and I want you to code it for me.
 Attitude 2:
 RTF*
 Attitude 3:
 I was unable to locate the answer on *, could someone point me in the right
 direction?
 Attitude 4:
 You can find your answer here.

> A lot wouldn't make the attempt because its pointless.  You're saying that
> since a lot of us don't want to give out all of our coding work, or
> instruct you how to do it (which is little less than giving the code out
> directly), we should just write everything ourselves.  At risk of a flame,
> that's stupid.

I have never asked anyone for code, I have asked how to do things. George has
helped me learn how to write a few things. Those that he showed me how to do,
I was able to transfer to other things. A few others have also helped me
learn how to do things which any C book will not teach you how.

Attitude 5:
I will not give out my code, go develope your own mud.

You appear to have this one. (here is your flame)