Re: Setcmd Code - Was: Re: New oedit.c Code

From: Del (caminturn@EARTHLINK.NET)
Date: 07/01/98

Before anyone starts accusing someone else of code stealing (more than
already). Please take it to private email if you wish to accuse them.
I really don't care if Quinn started it or if Travis did. At this point, if I
was to credit anyone I would end up crediting both if I used Travis's
portion. Or I would credit the person who submitted the code. No offense or
disrespect to the original coder if it is not the person who posted the
snippet. That discussion/argument is and should be between the parties
involved, NOT the discussion list.

Small note, Part of the explanation (to this semi-newbie) is kind of vague
and leaves some guess work on the newer coders:

>also.. down in player_specials.saved change a spare long from sparen to
>cmd

   int spare15;
   int spare16;
   long cmd;     <-- is this what you refered to?
   long spare18;

I truely think explanations such as:

structs.h
Change the one of the spares longs under

struct player_special_data_saved {

   int spare15;
   int spare16;
-   long        spare17;
+   long        cmd;
   long spare18;
   long spare19;

then do the next part.

This kind of instructions takes out the confusion of what you mean. The more
advanced coders will probably know what you are saying. I for one would end
up having to guess at what you mean.

This also allows for easier cut and paste for fewer typo errors, then you
will not be getting all these "the snippet crashes my mud, what could be
wrong?"

Thanks for listening and hope you all will not turn this topic into a blood
bath on the list.