Policies for your MUD & the world table

From: Tony Robbins (tonyr@NWPACLINK.COM)
Date: 07/02/98

I was going through the running.doc in the docs directory and kinda looked
through politics because one of the MUDs that I currently work/play on is
having political problems with thieves.

I personally feel that if you're a thief, then you steal, and that no MUD
is truly complete without the thief class/guild however you've set it up.
But on this MUD, level 2 and 3's have been running around pilfering from
the innocent and poor defenseless higher levels (!).  Anyway, I was
wondering how other people have determined their policy.

One idea I had was that _SKILLS_ should not be something you get, go into
the trainer's room, and type "prac steal" five times and know.  I believe
there is some code at Alex's site to increment skills when used, so that
part isn't really a question, it's a suggested answer.  I don't think that
the practice command itself should be able to bring a skill to a perfect
level.  I'd say a person learns 1/3 of the stuff from someone showing them,
the other 2/3 from actual work.  It's an idea you may want to incorporate
into your MUD.

Your thoughts?

PART II : the world table

Uggh, you know when you want to make that ONE silly little command, and it
ends up taking days?  Well, my rdig is that way.  The command is supposed
to work like the Obuild setup of "rset exit <dir> <dis|connect> <1|2> <#>".
 While I almost have it completed, the function of creating a new room in
it has bugs.  It mocks the code of redit_save_internally to add the new
room, but it oddly only works sometimes.  Anyway, the real question is:  Is
there anything inherently wrong about adding new rooms to the end of the
world table.  For example:

Vnum 1 = Rnum 0
Vnum 3000 = Rnum 1
Vnum 3001 = Rnum 2