Re: [IDEA][CODE] Dropping to a shell.

From: j f chaos (jfchaos@JUNO.COM)
Date: 07/02/98

>>On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Nick Race wrote:
>>
>>>Instead of coding a whole new set of routines to handle a different
>>>situation in the MUD, a coder of mine had the idea of holding the
>>>connection, and dropping the character into a shell on the MUD server
>>>(logged in as MUDUSER, or similar) now, with the use of scripts, and
custom
>>>programs, let them play around in the shell, then get back into the
MUD, in

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:13:26 -0700 Tony Robbins <tonyr@NWPACLINK.COM>
writes:
>I would be very wary of this.  Sounds dangerous to me.  :P
>
>I'd suggest making a zone and using scripts to make a new commandset.
It
>would take a lot of creativity, but hey, that's what your builders are
>for!
>
>-B.

I've been working on this same thing (off and on because of patch updates
and general bugs/crashes). I agree with the separate zone(s), better
security and easier to modify. I've also got plans for Matrix combat, but
that's turning out to be a pain with the current Thac0 tables and such
(am looking to replace it with the Shadowrun or CP 2020 system of combat)
Got to make sure that there is a check that the runner has a cyberdeck
and is a runner b4 jacking. The enterable object code(act.drive.c can't
remember who wrote it) is pretty useful
for the jacking in process.

Jon Falkner

Happy coding.