Re: Resolving "daemon"

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: 07/14/98

At 07:46 PM 7/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm writing a simple resolving daemon for my mud.  Basically I want a
>solution to the resolving problems we've seen from slow nameservers.

Seems to me there's already a patch that does exactly this on the
ftp site. Might even be two or three.

If you wish to write it from scratch anyway, I'd reccommend seeing if
you have the "pthread" library installed and, if so, using it. Tho, there are
really several ways to accomplish this. A "fun" one, especially if you're on
a server with several muds running, might be to make an RPC server to
respond to every mud's request. It could accept an ip address and a
descriptor accress (for the character descriptor pointer) as input to one
function call, look up the answer, and have another function call that
basically asks "got an answer for descriptor XXXX yet?" to be polled for
an answer, to avoid blocking on it.