Re: Beta testers wanted: C Interpreter for CircleMUD -0700"

From: d. hall (dhall@OOI.NET)
Date: 07/16/98

> // thus on Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:44:32 -0700, Doppleganger wrote:

> There, now that we got the useless quoting out of the way (glaring at the
> two offenders) I will correct you.  What this would be is an in-game C
> interpreter.  For example, if an implementor wanted the ability to have
> the MUD do something specific, like send a message to all people of level
> 30 or below, and didn't want to hard code it into the MUD then reboot, he
> could write it up, in game, then run it.  It's basically a way of doing
> specific functions without actually having to code them, and reboot.

It might make more sense to people if they saw it like C-like script.  A
scripting language for CircleMud (or any other mud it could be ported to).
Frankly I surprised that noone has ported embedded perl (tcl I've seen).

The only problem I've seen with in game interpreted procedures is that it's
VERY easy for lower lever admins to gain higher level access and bypass
legit security concern.  Caveat Emptor.

d.