Re: [IDEA] Banality/Mundanity spectrum for items and zones

From: Joe Rykowski, Sysop (cyklop@CW2.COM)
Date: 08/19/98

Another idea, instead of the spectrum idea (which is a good one and probably
a better one for when there are more than just 2 types of zones) is as
follows... We have a sci-fi cyberpunk MUD.. but there are zones in
"cyberspace" that players can enter which are fantasy based (they actually
take control of a copy of themselves in that zone.. while remaining in
another zone, but that's another story and relatively easy to accomplish
with existing CircleMUD code).  There is a cross-reference of items that can
"carry over" into the fantasy/cyberspace zone.. but they reference
"different" items in the other zone.  For example, if the player is carrying
a "fireball soft" (which is slotted in their cyberdeck), then in the fantasy
zone their character will have a wand capable of shooting fireballs.  Even
though in reality (mud-reality), the fireball soft doesn't have any firing
capability at all.. when in virtual reality the item it references does..
So, the idea of a "banality/mundanity spectrum" isn't necessary.

The headache with this idea is that you have the addition of a
cross-reference file to "link" the items from regular zones to cyberspace
zones.

JoeR (Cyklop)
http://www.cw2.com/core/

P.S. - I think you'll find the data structures very flexible for doing odd
little things like this.. with minimal recreation of code from scratch (like
using the god functionality for controlling NPCs to control pseudo-NPCs in
cyberspace zones..).