Re: XP and Saving throw formula.

From: Tony Robbins [Kupek] (tonyr@NWPACLINK.COM)
Date: 08/30/98

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> > Just out of curiosity (another poll item, George? :)
> > how many people out there actually stay with the
> > default of 30 levels?
>
> I would imagine incredibly few.

I haven't found any but my design MUD, and I personally like having 30
levels.  The only reason you'd need a great deal of levels is if they were
all rather meaningless.  Besides, making it just _ONE_ level away to get
that kickass spell, but making it a tough level, is an incredible hook for
players.  I've seen 100+ level MUDs where they take care of this
successfully, but it's rare.

> Most people go up to 100 or even more as
> one of the first things they do for their MUD.  This is actually rather
> unfortunate, since there's considerable room for improvement in the
> balance of the game with just the stock thirty -- adding more to make
> things "harder" is, at the very best, a temporary solution.  IMHO, more
> time should be spent giving a meaning and challenge to each and
> every last one of the thirty levels.

Exactly.

> -dak : Is 20,000 words too long for a love letter?!

20,000 characters is too long for a love letter.

-B.