[CODE] In my opinion...

From: Nick Stout (cyberman_64@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: 08/30/98

    Doppleganger and a few others have brought up a good point.
I may sound stupid being a newbie coder myself, but I am taking the
effort to learn, and trust me, if you dont know what a parse error is or
have any idea what an array is, there's no point in even trying to code.
    Code snippets are not the answer. Learn how to imm a mud first
before going off, getting a fresh copy of CircleMUD3.0, and typing
random text in all the free spaces.
    Coding is an art, and so is owning a mud. There are about 20-30
truly awesome and wonderful CircleMUDs out there that I have found.
The rest? Stock code. There is nothing wrong with stock, except for the
fact that it's un-unique. Boring.
    No one wants a MUD opened that resembles CircleMUD30bpl14 to the
exact character. I dont wanna play one of those.
    If you cannot code in C, and you dont wanna get a 6000 page C book,
the least you can do is stare at code snippets for a while, and
experiment with them. The Mailing List is for "Assistance" in mistakes,
and problems in code.
    It is not:
    "Can you code this for me?"
    "Help. I can't patch. Can someone tell me how i patch something?"
    "How do you untar something?"
    and my personal favorite...
    "What does .C mean?"

    Notice even newbie coders try to send in an example of code they've
already written.
    I may be totally out of line with this message, and it may be
totally useless, but i just thought i'd put in my 2 gold.

-CyberMan
   Implementor of RealityMUD.