Re: [Off-Topic] Number of Coders for a MUD

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 09/16/98

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Barbara Desmond wrote:

>Is it me? Or has the amount of stock circlemuds just reached an alarming
>new rate? I have seen everything, from plain old circleMUD 3.0 BPL 14s.
>They are a load of stock, yet the owners feel that their mud is the best.
>To top it off, I've seen soooo many that violate the CircleMUD and DikuMUD
>license.

Maybe we should have a license watchdog group that goes around to MUDs and
points out violations, reports them to a database, and checks up to make
sure they fix them.

>This is not meant to be a flame, and don't get me wrong. There are some
>really good circlemuds out there. I just think that all these stock muds
>are terrible. Mr. Elson, Mr. Greer, and all the people who made CircleMUD
>a sucess, deserve better, then having all these people running around with
>stock code, saying that they made the mud themselves.

Organize the above. ;)

>Maybe Jeremy should put in a few bugs that you actually have to fix to
>compile?

I suggested it a few months ago.  I think it was decided that too many
people would ask us what's wrong with the code.  Don't remember exactly
though.

>I just finished my 'bathroom' code. Now in addition to messages about
>hunger and thirst, you have messages about taking a piss and poop. Only
>rooms with a bathroom flag are you allowed to take a piss/poop in. And
>it actually creates the items on the ground!
>Sick eh?

There is a such thing as taking reality too far... Have you coded virii
yet? Get sick and puke?

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/   (mostly) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.