Re: Query #2

From: Bryan Britt (beltane@BELTANE.COM)
Date: 10/17/98

Abbreviations are already included in OLC+.  That's why there are two
functions is_name and isname.  The isname was changed to use the
abbreviations and a duplicate is_name does not use the abbrieviations.
is_name is called for things like the Username: prompt which is the
security that it is talking about.

Side Note:  I changed the is_name function to be called isfullname, it's
more readable.   I also made the hedit command use isfullname to get
around trying to edit the help file for COLORS and having it always pull
up COLOR SPRAY.

Bryan Britt
Beltane Web Services

At [Sat, 17 Oct 1998 21:45:52 +0800], Circadia Adminstrator
<circadia@planetmud.com> wrote:

> However, the OLC+.README says ...
>    (This uses the is_name function, a duplicate of isname()).  The logic
>    is that it will search the list for the same name.  DO NOT CHANGE
>    is_name() for ANY REASON, especially abbreviations code.  This will
>    cause "Belga" to work as "Belgarath".  A security hole.
>
> Personally, I would love the abbreviation snippet to be coded into my mud
> and
> was about to use the abbreviation snippet on Ceramic Mouse when I suddenly
> remembered... Will using the snippet affect, in any way, the OLC function
> in OLC+ package? Or rather, is there a possible fix to this problem?

Bryan L. Britt                                        501-327-8558
Beltane Web Services, Conway, AR            http://www.beltane.com
~~~~~~~~~~Support Private Communications on the Internet~~~~~~~~~~
Moons of Beltane MUD               telnet://moons.beltane.com:4000
bin/circle    1.53MB and growing      http://www.moons.beltane.com