Re: [CODE] Crash but no core

From: Zeavon (zeavon@KILNAR.COM)
Date: 11/08/98

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Peter Hartman wrote:

> ulimit lists unlimited.
>
> Peter Hartman
>
> On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, AxL wrote:
>
> >         Assuming you are on some sort of Unix site, make use of the "limit"
> > or "ulimit" command, consulting the man pages to see what flags you
> > may need.

Make sure that the process (the mud) is being run by an account that has
write permissions to your lib/ directory. I had this problem when I used
rc.local and 'su -c' to autolaunch my mud when the server was (re)booted.
For some reason, this prevented the core file from being written. I had to
stop the mud, and then manually restart it to get the core dumps.

Another thing to look at is that your mud may be hitting an infinite loop.
In that case, your OS will (should) shutdown the mud to keep the mud from
overwhelming the system. If this is the case, you will not get a core
dump.

PS: Please learn to quote the minimal amount of message needed.

Zeavon MageMaster (aka: John Evans)
Implementor of The Spear of Insanity
  MUD: kilnar.com 1066
Email: zeavon@kilnar.com