Re: Things maybe "TODO"

From: George (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 12/18/98

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Jared Buckley wrote:

>George wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>> * Threads
>>         Limited to Linux, Solaris, Windows, and maybe FreeBSD.
>
>How much extra performance does this add vs the added complexity?
>I haven't programmed with threads in ages, but I seem to remember the
>locking as being a nightmare, not to mention the added debugging
>headaches!

It would simplify all the inter-player action, simplify the main loop, but
complicate other functions with locking.

>> * BufferSys
>>         I'm doing a makeover at the moment with it so I have yet to figure
>>         out what it is going to become.  Most likely it would be nice.
>
>George you need more PR on this one.  I know you're working hard on this
>project, but I'm completely ignorant of what it is or does...

I'm still trying to figure out what v2.0 will do.  Read:

http://www.van.ml.org/CircleMUD/Buffer/buffer19.patch.gz

It's 25kB and should give you an idea of what it does with the
configuration options.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org