Re: GUI for Circle?

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@mindspring.com)
Date: 01/11/99

I've been working on a GUI based client for Circles for about a month, but
I've been moving VERY slowly (too much else going on). The main focus
of what I'm doing is for making OLC more friendly. Once I'm happy with
it (which could be a year perhaps ;) I'll release a patch that will drop
into Circle bpl X.Y + Oasis Z. (Or, if the generic OLC support is in Circle
at that time, Oasis will not be necessary.)

The way I've modeled it so far, support for custom flags will be automatic,
as the client will download a list of flags (room flags, mob affections, etc.)
from the server. Support for non-stock add-ons (teleporting room OLC, for
example) is hazy... though a plug-in package might be able to handle that.
The problem I see there is I'm using Visual Cafe (Java, compiled to native
Win32 code) for this, and to write a plug-in, you'd need Visual Cafe too.
(For those with opinions of dubiousness towards Java... this is only the
Java language, not the JVM environment.)

(While my client will focus on OLC, it wont be useless if you don't plan
on using OLC or if you connect to a mud that has no support for the
client; it just wont have as much to offer.)