Re: Too many open files

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 01/23/99

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Chris Rehbein wrote:

> When more than two people log on, the mud dies with this message. Is it
> possible that the machine I'm running the mud on limits the number of open
> files I can have?  This is getting to be a HUGE problem here, and any help
> would be greatly appreciated.

Other than checking, as someone already suggested, your code for
forgetting to close file handles, you might also want to check your
account limits.  In bash, type "ulimit -a" and look at "open files".  Of
course, I can't imagine why it'd be set so low ...  Linux, I believe, (and
perhaps some other Unixen) have a hard-coded limit of 256.  You can try
setting the value using "ulimit -n 256".

-dak : Maybe $40 for the Slackware 3.6 CDs isn't all that bad...at least,
       not after a day of downloading and still being on diskd1.  I need
       to get myself a faster modem one of these days ...