Re: Added DG Scripts...

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@mindspring.com)
Date: 02/12/99

At 02:05 AM 2/12/99 -0600, you wrote:
>A.  Should I get a core dump when running in the Cygnus enviorment, or is
>there a way to get a core dump on a W98 machine???

Core dumps come from the operating system, not from the shell.

>B.  Has anyone had any problems patching DG scripts with the same
>requirements above?

When patching in anything the size of DG Scripts, into anything the
size of CircleMUD with numerous additional changes, you are bound
to run into problems along the line you are.

Since you've for the Cygnus environment, why not use GDB to help find
your code problem? If you reliable crash every time you run zedit, or at
least in a highly predictable way, you've got the best debug situation you
could hope for. Set a breakpoint in the code prior to the point of the crash,
issue the command that you know will crash you, then in the debugger,
single step through your code. If you don't know how to use GDB yet,
you've skated too far into coding, and really should learn now.

>I have searched the mailing list archives.  Using several different
>combinations of keywords, I couldn't find anything on the subject I am
>concerned with.

Read the FAQ on using GDB. You won't find anything that details all the
changes you've made to your mud plus DG Scripts; your fix on this one will
consist of your own hard work, coupled with well meaning suggestions
when you are able to provide better details of the problem, on a code level.

>I have not had time to really search through the DG Script code (I know I
>should before I post this) but I was hoping this may be a common problem
>that someone may help me with.

With a cursory glance at olc.c and zedit.c, I don't see anything that looks
like
an obvious place for zedit to fail because of the DG Script code.

Use the GDB, Luke.