Re: strdup or str_dup?

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 03/09/99

Sean Daley wrote:

> I'll have to agree with Daniel on this one though.  Let the mud crash.
> You'll have more incentive to fix whatever is causing the problem if
> your players are constantly asking you why it keeps crashing ;)

One aspect of my argument against such crash-proofing that has been
ignored, but will hopefully deter anyone from doing this, is that if
str_dup() is used on any strings that will be saved to a database,
by not crashing upon the illegal str_dup(), you make it conceivable
that you'll write corrupted data to a file.  That is, if you pass a
NULL pointer to str_dup() and it's designed to return a non-NULL
value (probably something like, "(null)"), it's conceivable that this
data will wind up in database files, permanently replacing their
original values.

While George says it might be good for people who are worried about
uptime, I contend that if uptime is important to you, you *WON'T*
allow the game to stay up with potentially corrupt data.

-dak