Re: levels past 256

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 03/30/99

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Shane Pilo wrote:

> This mud I'm working on has 300+ levels, but when I do a player wipe, we
> con only get level 53 max...I'm thinking it's a problem of only being able
> to advance 256 levels...any ideas?

Take a gander at the type of the 'level' variable.  It's a signed char,
meaning it has 8 bits.  2^8 = 256.

> Computer Science Major

This just goes to illustrate that a major in CS does not mean you know how
to program (not to say Shane doesn't know).  College CS courses, in my
experience, teach more theory and algorithm than actual programming.
Which isn't necessarily bad, as experience provides the rest of the
knowledge.

> [snip huge .sig]

Please note there's a limitation on the length of signature files.  Read
the mailing list FAQ.  The address at which you can view the FAQ is
provided in the box below.

-dak