Re: mud that has no circlemud world files or mobsorobjects

From: Del (caminturn@earthlink.net)
Date: 05/09/99

"Richard P. Bandura" wrote:
> Actually this is all FAR from typical, now that I've thought about it.
> However, I don't really see why someone who can't code would be qualified
> to run a MUD as the lone imp. Until you've seen how much work actually goes
> into the bloody thing, I don't really think you've got much room to tell
> other people what to do or how to do it, PERIOD.

It seems obviously clear that this person you have described has no
management concepts at all. That person can be better at running the mud
if he understood his boundaries. Not meaning he had to know how to code.
But rather understood and accepted what his coders told him.
i.e. We can not add in this code. (This should not be hard to
understand)
     Any code made as a convenience is always appreciated (some just
don't understand that).
To be an effective leader (implimentor, manager, etc) you do not have to
know how to do everything your managing, but rather trust the people you
have working for you. Understand thier limits and what they tell you the
limits are. If they put out an idea, and you (as the coder) say it can
or can not be done, he should work with that and come up with a better
solution or idea if it can not be done.

So, hopefully all those newbies out there that want to run a mud, and
have coders working for them, take this advice. Every coder has his
limits, he/she may not be able to get working the code you want them to
put in. So, please accept thier abilities and thier limits.
On the same note, if your a coder for an Imp, let them know your limits.
They may be able to handle the inside of the mud (playing side) better
than most. Find a common ground and communicate!!!!