Re: MUD Sound Protocol.

From: Warren Robbins (robbinsw@ucs.orst.edu)
Date: 12/25/99

I'm replying at this point about the whole MUD sound situation.  I'm glad
we all agree that it's ridiculous--at least MSP is.  In an old proto-MUD I
have, we have streaming mp3 sound, wherein a sound server boots and the
player has a mudAMP (yeah, yeah) client called "Casper" which interfaces
FreeAMP.  If you don't have the file, the server sends it your way.

The only reason I'll never use the code is that I really don't need people
to be able to consciously increase the traffic from my server, and lag me
out.

I've never had that problem, but I don't want to worry about it.

More relevant is how sound is handled.  It's all called out to the mudAMP
client, who handles the sound, not just a simple text-parse trigger addon
to zMUD (said more harshly than intended...).

Anyway, I'd like to see a MUD protocol as dak has spoken of before, which
would get us past many of the limitations we have and also increase the
likelihood that clients will innovate to handle the new change[1].

-k.

[1] - something like that, anyway.

<everything snipped because I'm sure you already know the context>