Re: Newbie: Area coding

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 01/11/00

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Kanocz Alexander wrote:

> I'm real newbie in MUD administration. I've installed CircleMUD v.30bpl16
> onto Linux Mandrake 6.1 (RedHat clone). I would like to start with area
> coding. I read documentation and i feel still fuzzled. On my previous MUD it
> was very easy with @gid and @describe. Could you help me out to code some
> area ? Is there any program running under linux or windowz, which can help
> me ?

There are various Online Creation ("OLC") patches for CircleMUD, including
the menu based OasisOLC and Samedi's command line based OLC (I'm not
certain of the name).  Check around in the /pub/CircleMUD/contrib/olc/
directory of ftp.circlemud.org.  In addition, for in-game programmability
of mobiles ("machines" or "puppets" or "NPCs") you'll want to check out
DGscripts, also available somewhere within the contrib/ directory of the
FTP site.  None of this stuff is included by default into CircleMUD (at
least, not yet), as the current effort is to fix broken code, not
introduce more of it.

However, you seem to be much more familiar with TinyMUD style games, and
you can obtain that sort of game from other places -- ftp.game.org is one
such place, although it only carries mostly out-of-date stuff.  Better
would be to go for TinyMUSH 3.0 from http://www.godlike.com/tinymush-3.0/.

> And one more question I would like to put obvious exits to the end of
> look printout. Is there any easy way ?

Type "autoexits" within the game (or a reasonable abbreviation thereof) to
get a short form appended to the descriptions.  Someone else sent a
message explaining how to have it set on all new players.  :)

-dak / dkoepke@circlemud.org