Crash Recovery Techniques

From: Pat OLaughlin (polaughlin@starix.net)
Date: 03/01/00

        On my MUD, I implemented a very simple system that will use
signals to detect when a segmentation fault occurs and directly
afterwards will automatically "copyover" the MUD.  It also tells the
last command that was typed and the person who typed it.  This
system works great but it's not as extensive as I want it.
        I once IMM'd on a MUD once that had a very nice crash
recovery system that would somehow recover from the crash and
display a GDB type output that would show what section of code
the MUD crashed at on syslog.  Another cool feature is the players
wouldn't even know the crash happened.  The world would be
restored to it's original state.
        If anyone has done some extensive crash recovering I'd really
like to know.

                                                                                Pat (aka Manx)