Re: [Circle] [OLC] circle3.0 bl17 with OLC and MSVC? how the heck.....

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 05/19/00

> After trying *with many MANY unsuccessfull attempts* to get build 17 to
> work with the Cygwin tools under win98, i decided to blow the dust off
> my copy of MSVC5 and use that instead.  Problem solved, lots of little
> code changes here and there and my mud is taking shape....
>
> Trouble is i cant get OLC working with it, as i cant use patchfiles to
> install it. And to be honest the prospects of sitting there writing
> zones in notepad makes me depressed beyond belief.
>
> There seems to be so many different patches/builds/versions of OLC about
> to be honest it confusing which one i should be using to get it working,
> so realy i have 2 questions.
>
> 1> Which version of Oasis should i be trying to get to work in the first
> place (the ftp site has about a million different kinds)?

        You should try to get the version 2.0 for bpl17 (always grab the
latest, if there's something else up there).  I don't see the the new
version of the patch, so you'll have to use the older one;  the patch +
file overwrite system.  I wouldn't untar it in your circle dir if you like
to keep any of the changes you've made.  You can apply the patch, though
there are a few major bugs which will both stop if from running, and stop
it from compiling.  So, you'll have to fix those, but this doesn't take
more than a half hour to run down the changes and put in the proper
functionality.

> 2> When ive got the proper version, how the heck do i get it to run ?

        Get the unix tools from cygwin. Use patch.

> BTW, as i said, my computer is ANTI_GNU32 so please dont tell me to use
> the patch command included in that :-)

        How can your computer be 'anti gnu' ?  Just download the unix
tools from the cygwin site, included is 'patch'.  While people have had a
decent amount of difficulty with cygwin (though it's worked fine for me
for bpl12-15, on win95+98..i just followed the how-to walkthrough someone
was nice enough to write up) it seems that no one has ever had any
problems with the unix tool kit.

        Your only other alternative is to patch by hand. If you don't want
to do that, you're kinda sol.

                                                PjD