Re: stats limit

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 06/21/00

> PD>> after fiddling around for a long while with the code, I noticed new
> PD>> players all of a sudden can get 25 in one or more stats if they have a
> PD>> lucky roll. I figured I must have changed something by mistake. I looked
> PD>> through the roll_real_abils() function, but it is left untouched. any
> PD>> ideas what I need to change in order to limit these to 18 again? and how
> PD>> come they either roll <= 18 or 25 and never nothing between 19-24?  --
> PD>
> PD>        Just a guess, did you add races, and things like positive and
> PD> negative modifiers?  Are you sure that it's on roll, and not the stacking
> PD> ability of spells you may have added (i've had complaints on one mud that
> PD> stats were wrapping to the negatives because they had gone so high from
> PD> spells).  If you changed something by mistake, can't you single step
> PD> through the code and see where the problem is?
>
> I have had races for a long time now, modifiers havent changed, and the
> characters I have created are not affected by any spells. single stepping
> through the code doesnt help me very much, I still dont know what causes the
> stats to jump up to 25 but not 19, 20, 21 etc.

        Letseee... There's a few reasons this could be happening, i'd look
very carefully at a few different functions; do_start(),
roll_real_abils(), and potentially init_char().

        Init char sets all your stats to 25 (regardless of level).
do_start() then calls roll_real_abils() and your stat scores are rerolled
based only on class.  If you added a new class, or were ever playing in
roll_real_abils(), i'd double check that for each class you assign each
set of die rolls.  If you miss one, you'll get a 25.

        Otherwise, if you've significantly rewritten the system to use one
of the other die rolling techniques (I prefer IV myself..at least, I used
to), then you probably have a range-checking guarentee that limits from 3
to 25; double check what values it's actually getting, maybe that will
clue you in to a possible different solution.
                                                        PjD