Re: C++

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/27/00

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Dereck Kozak wrote:

>This is really more of a question, but I feel alot more comfortable in
>C++ than i do C, how much would nessecarily be changed if I switch it to
>C++?

Everything or nothing, depending on how object-oriented you want to be. If
you wanted something ground-up built on classes, there's always MUD++
(unmaintained).  CircleMUD's a more complete solution but it does suffer by
not being rewritten from the original Diku design where computers were much
less powerful. ASCII player files comes to mind there. You won't find
anything in it that is particularly bad but a lot of stuff which could be
much better.  The entirety of db.c is one example.  It would be great to be
able to load an arbitrary zone, for instance, but the code is one shot and
one shot only.

Life's complicated right now, little time for 4.0 stuff.  I still need to
go learn LaTeX, for example, to write documentation for CircleMUD 3.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org