Re: Slackware 7 Crypt Problems

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 07/04/00

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Julian Buckley wrote:

>Has anyone using Slackware 7 found a way to remedy their apparrent
>native crypt problems with CircleMUD?  I know that by trial and error
>installing the DES-crypt addon resolves it immediately, but thus have
>been told DES-crypt isn't the crypt I want "these days".  Is there some
>special trick to fix the problem (which needless to say, provides a seg
>fault on stock Circle bpl17), or am I stuck with installing the addon at
>some stage?

You want DES crypt() unless you don't have any players.  The CircleMUD
password field is too short to keep the MD5 password in, resulting in *any*
password working for characters with a name longer than 5 letters.

The 'configure' script checks for it in recent CircleMUD patchlevels.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org