Re: [NEWBIE??] I don't even know how to title this one...

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 08/19/00

> I have several 'fun' immortal commands, and I would like to be able
> to change the wording of some of them on a whim without having to re-
> compile and reboot the whole MUD. Sorta like the help and action
> files.
> So far, I haven't put a lot of thought into it, but I think I have a
> pretty good idea on where to start, but getting the whole thing going
> might be a problem.
> What I figured was to add a new *.h file that points to a new text
> file in the /lib/text folder. Then with the text file I could do
> something like the messages file for skills/spells.
> If anyone has done this before and knows where a snippet might be, or
> can simply give a little advice, I would really appreciate it:-)

        Since you haven't given specifics, I'd recommend that you look at
the 'reload' command, insofar as the help and action file reloads go.  For
things like skills/spells or fight messages, you'd have to write a (non
generic) function to read in each dependant upon the format, which in turn
is probably influced by the structure in the program.  You _could_ make a
function that unloads all the spell messages and re-reads them in.  You'd
just have to make a new one for each other thing that comes along.

        If you're just dealing with text, and not anything slightly
complicated like renumbering the rooms, or shuffling around procs, no big
deal.

                                        PjD