Re: Passing by reference

From: Mike Breuer (mbreuer@new.rr.com)
Date: 03/13/01

> Is passing by reference even possible on circle?

Passing a variable's address to a function (using pointers) is an example of
passing by reference.  affect_modify(...) in handler.c is one example of a
function that does this.

Since Circle already has a large number of contributers (and several coding
styles), this statement may be somewhat irrelevant, but it is always a good
idea to try to keep the style of your code base as consistent as possible.
In other words, look at how similar problems have been solved, and try to
model your solution after those.  I don't necessarily think that the kind of
function you are looking to write would be out of line, but I'd have to know
more about what you are trying to accomplish.

I realize this is getting a bit off topic, so I'll just extend a brief
invitation to anyone who wants to explore the C/C++ aspects of this question
to contact me directly at the e-mail below, and we can carry the topic
offline.  I have taught C professionally, so I know where I am coming from.

Mike
blitzthethief@delta-quadrant.net