Re: Skill/Spell Requirments

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/26/01

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Brandon Bennett wrote:

> It would be cool to get rid of the current static skill/spell linking
> in class.c and move it to an external file.  In addition instead of
> having the spells/skill based on level or class have it based on a set
> of requirements.  An Example file might be:

How would you address more complex spells that require some degree of
customization?  Would it be worth adding specialized code for all of this
or tackling the problem at a more abstract, flexible level and introducing
a more general purpose scripting language (either of your own design or by
plugging in an existing language and creating bindings to the Mud)?

I would lean towards the second.  Embedding Python and then writing Mud
bindings shouldn't be too difficult, and it gives you the ability to
actually write the skills and spells, rather than define them by a bunch
of specialized data fields that you have to code for later.

Barring the use of a hybrid structured-abstract system as I touched upon
in a private followup to my XML parser toy, the system gains you in-game
flexibility, but requires heaps of specailized code without bringing any
other benefits.

It's something to think about, anyway.

-dak