Re: Random Ticks

From: Mike Breuer (
Date: 06/29/01

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Masten" <diablo@DEATHWALKER.NET>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 3:20 AM

> personally I always hated clients with tick counters, they
> tend to prompt 'crazy' behavour (ex. speedwalking between
> cities and all the sudden the player falls asleep the split
> second before the tick and jumps back up the split second
> after the tick) from players.

Another way of preventing this that I've heard of, but haven't tried, is to
shorten the ticks to something under 5 seconds and then modify the
update_points function to perform the increases at an appropriately reduced
amount.  You'd need to update some of the constants, and maybe a few other
spots in the code, but I don't think it would be too difficult.