Re: [Newbie] Objects duplicating on deaths

From: Brandon Brown (bbrown@uasoft.com)
Date: 11/04/01

> appreciated. There is NO renting in the game.
By this I'm assuming you just don't charge for rent, not that there isn't
any object saving.

> I'm having a problem with objects not being deleted after a player dies.
> After the death, the player will occasionally start the game with the same
> objects that are in his corpse, thus duplicating items and gold. Some
player
> deaths seem to go through the process just fine, with all objects being
left
> in the corpse, but others have both objects in corpse and in inventory.
I've
> been through the objsave file and can't seem to find anything obvious, so
> am needing some suggestions on where to look next. Any help is greatly

( I don't like to give coding solutions [typically I'm not that smooth with
mailer code anyways], but I'll give my two cents on the problem and how I
think you can fix it. ) :)

The problem is that the player's object/rent file isn't being saved until
some point far after he dies, and that between his death (when he loses the
objects) and the point that the rent file is supposed to be saved, there is
some sort of interruption - probably the game crashes.

The clearest solution would be to insert a way to save the player's rent
file immediatelly after transfering all objects from the person to the
corpse [fight.c: make_corpse()], therefore assuring that the objects cannot
be duplicated.

Good luck. :)

 - B. Brown