Re: [MYSQL] Crash in parse_object after reading triggers for mobs

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 11/13/01

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Henrik Stuart wrote:

>   Two other, quite more expensive ways, is by using either Numega
>   Boundschecker or Rational Purify, which are both commercial
>   programs for Windows.  Personally, I prefer using Numega's
>   Boundschecker for both memory validation, stack validation, heap
>   validation, api call validation and array bounds access validation
>   (to name a few of its' functions). It's both well-written and
>   integrates seamlessly into Visual C++.  It not only makes
>   programming in C++ less of a fuss it helps you pinpoint where the
>   actual corruption takes place too.

GCC is getting (or has) support for that as well:

  -fbounds-check          Generate code to check bounds before
                          dereferencing pointers and arrays
  -fcheck-memory-usage    Generate code to check every memory access
  -fstack-check           Insert stack checking code into the program

These are _slow_ (in compiling, unknown for running) in case you wondered.

I seem to hit a glibc2 problem when using 'check-memory-usage' though.  It
doesn't like 'asm' being used, which some header pulled in.

>   Now, electric fence is ok if you do not have the money, of course.
>   Or are an avid speaker against Microsoft and anything that even
>   might consider to run on their operating system.
>
>   Anyway, for you people looking for something slightly more advanced
>   to help deal with your bugs. :o)

More advanced?  Probably.
More helpful?   Maybe.
More expensive? Definitely.