Replacement for saving throws/thac0?

From: Mathew Earle Reuther (graymere@zipcon.net)
Date: 07/10/02

My class.c file is weighing in at a hefty 460k as a result of expanding
levels and classes.  It's taking about a zillion years to compile.
(Unless it choked my compiler, which I've never seen, but hey, could be .
. .)

My question for the list is this: has anyone scrapped the old method of
dealing with saving throws and thaco?  I'm assuming yes.  It seems that
returning case after case is NOT the best way to go.  If for no other
reason than sitting around for 20+ minutes every time anything which
requires a full recompile is added. :)

(Argh, it errored out at like 17000+, noooo, must fix and recompile!)

Any suggestions as to how to modify the systems in question?  Saves in
particular take up the majority of the file.  At least 10000 lines of it.

-Mathew