Re: World files

From: VampLestat (vamp@csulb.edu)
Date: 02/12/94

On Sat, 12 Feb 1994, Derkhil CatSpawn wrote:

> | I'd also suggest either removing or totally re-working the dwarven area.
> | There are some really bad descriptions, and the whole idea of a quest
> | based on "birth control pills" is annoying.
>
> I know that I started on this a while back - I know that I trimmed the
> 'quest' part out, and reworked the stats and some descriptions, as well
> as giving the d-guards the guard proc and the wraith the spell casting
> proc, doing away with the 'grabbed' million coins that the shopkeepers
> there had (they weren't that hard to kill..heck, even after I moded them
> they didn't warrent 1 mil coins!), lowered the exp on the snakes... all
> the good stuff ;)

Great!  Sounds much better, and a possible "workable" area.

> Anybody have any problems with the shire becoming a "real" newbie area
> (as opposed to a seriously un-balanced area that ANYBODY can be happy
> killing away in) ?

I've never really liked the area much.  Not only is it totally
unbalanced, but I also dont think you should have multiple copies of the
"one ring" running about.  :)

> much gold and exp for their degree of difficulty...so I see 3 main
> alternatives - axe the Shire

That'd be my choice, and probably what I'd do if I got it in the 3.0
distribution.

> make it a less 'rich' and more for
> newbies, or boost things to make it a 9th+ area.  Any preferrences/
> comments on the Shire?

MAYBE if it was further into the forest and not right outside an exising
city (Midgaard), and if it didnt have mobs that obviously corresponded to
named characters in the books.  Maybe with the same look and feel, just
not the same actual names, like "the Shire".

> More in a little bit... gonna post the basic area list I'm going to
> draw from, along with possible changes, ideas, etc, so I can get a
> response from those who will likely be using these tiny*s :)

Sounds good.  A few area's I've taken and reworked for Circle 2.20 were:

The Mahntor      - requires implementation of multiple attacks though
The Chessboard   - nuked all but the actual board and chess mobs, and it
                   looks alot better. works as a great newbie area under the
                   wiz basement if you give em gold.

Things I'd like to see ...

the gytheryanki (sp?) area from Merc.  If it got a realistic enterance, I
think an astral area could be really cool and serve as a good jump point
to other areas on other planes.

The High Tower - the two zone one.  remove the pizza and modern stuff and
balanace it out a bit and it could be a good area.

hmmm thats all I cant think of now... more to come later I guess...

_O_  Ryan L. Watkins                                     vamp@csulb.edu