Re: Pets.

From: Mr. Wizard (jsbarrow@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: 09/12/94

On Mon, 12 Sep 1994, Eduan Kotze wrote:

> Greetings Net-Friends,
>
> I've read the mail about the pets and trying to implement it. That
> should not be to difficult. Mainly adding another object to the

Wouldn't you want a linked list of these to allow for multiple pets?

> In any way most lpmuds you get a familiar at a certain level by
> purchasing it, depending on the type of familiar.
> You can choice what type of familiar you want from a crocodile to
> a bald eagle.
> These familiars can carry stuff for you, BUT their main goal is
> to assist one in battle by simple calling them into the battle.
> The damage the familiar do, is linked to the level the player are
> and the level the familiar is.
> So the higher the player are, the more powerful the familiar is.
> LIKE:
>
> Level 1-5  Horse
> Level 6-10 Crocodile
> Level 11-15 Black fox
> Level 16-20 Golden Eagle
> Level 21-25 Tiger
> Etc...
>
> Offcourse you notice that the familiars CANNOT do the same amount of
> damage. I mean a horse is a horse and a tiger a tiger.

Aside from the level restrictions on when you can buy the familiar
(something I find unnecessary), and the ability to have them hold stuff
for you (something I think is a bad idea!) how is this different from a
regular pet from the pet store in Circle 2.2?

> I would love to see familiars being given attention in the next
> version of CircleMUD-code. :)

I would too.  Particularly on their rentability and allowing them to gain
in levels, age, etc..

> I would love to here a reply on this. :)

I hope that includes mine.  :)

> Eduan.
> .--------------------------------------------------------------------.
> |:   : | ,''', | :'''' | :''''| "They always say that .-------------.|
> |:   : | :   : | :'''  | `''':| time changes things,  |  ().---.()  ||
> |`...' | ',,,' | :     | ....'| but you actually      |   { = 0 }   ||
> |-----------------------------| have to change them   |    \_w_/    ||
> |     The Invisible Guy       | yourself."            |      U      ||
> |-----------------------------|          - Andy Warhol|     '.`     ||
> |    eduan@wwg3.uovs.ac.za    |                       `-------------'|
> `--------------------------------------------------------------------'

Hey, another sig that's 9 lines long, yet looks much smaller than mine!  ;)

||  Joshua Sky Barrow  ||| Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Science ||
|| 19 Central St., #28 ||| "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.    ||
|| Somerville, MA      |||  If you can dream it, you can become it."      ||
|| 02143-2834          |||                                   Unknown      ||
|| (617) 666-0859      ||| E-mail:  jsbarrow@fas.harvard.edu              ||