File Transfer?

From: root (root@adcockm.lib.uh.edu)
Date: 08/07/95

Hello,

  I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to inccorporate file transfer into
CircleMud 2.20 code?

  Here's what I mean by file transfer. I'd like players to be able to transfer
files to the mud server site, and get files. I'd also like players to be able
to transfer files to/from each other. I've heard of the InterMud project which
allows file transfers between mud servers, but that's not really what I want.

  So, is it possible (and practical) to code file transfer between the client
and the server?

  I realize that you can't simply send file transfers over the raw telnet,
unless you use Zmodem or something. But, if possible, I'd like to be able to
have the file transfers going on in the backgroud, so that the players can
go about their business mudding.

  What I am thinking of is a DCC-like transfer, while the player continues on
in the game (like DCC in IRC).

  I believe new client software would have to be written, as well as code
changes in the mud.

  So, what do you all think? Is it possible? Is it practical?

  If anyone has a bunch of free time on their hands, and would like to help me
set this code up, feel free to email me! :)

Thanks in advance,

Michael