Re: max player limit

From: Ron Poulton (ron@res.com)
Date: 08/14/95

> > Have any of you ever limited the number of players ?
> >
> > I would like to implement this feature, however when the max player limit
> > is reached my gods cannot log in.
> >
> > I would like for my gods to be able to log in now matter how many over
> > the limit it is.
>
> I'm not sure if this would work in 2.2, but if I wanted to do the same in
> 3.0, I'd look into the code that determines when it's full (do a grep on
> the max player variable), and change it so instead of turning people
> away, it wizlocks the game at a level high enough that only the gods you
> want on will get on.  You'll also need a check to turn this off if the
> number of players decreases.
>
> This would keep a limit on mortals, but would allow as many gods on as
> you've got.

Alternately, a lookup table may be created as far as allowing so many
Immortals online at once.  Say you only wanted a maximum of 5 sub-Imp
immortals (levels 31-33 in this case) and as many Imps as you want.

I can see a use for making the maximum number of Immortals online at once
unlimited of use, though.  Since CircleMUD basically enforces its rules
already via hardcoding, my need for Immortals would be betatesting and
building.  Having an unlimited number of betatesters and builders online
at once (with the appropriate limitations for reducing conflicts) is a
good idea.