Re: Hiya folks...

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 08/15/95

On Mon, 14 Aug 1995, Ron Poulton wrote:

> I'd like to see spells implemented via text files and an internal spell
> editor.  (Side note ;).  In fact, implementing many aspects of CircleMUD
> as text files would be of great use.  I'm having questions about adding
> 'too much' to bpl8; if there's a patch, how easily, as long as I haven't
> changed any of the function headers, would the patch encorporate into my
> system?

Good idea about the text-files.  Maybe make .spl files for, say, combat
spells.  The text file could contain spell name, classes/levels, casting
messages, and dice and/or affects.

Given all the changes I've seen in each patch level of circle.  It looks
like moving to a new level can be a lot of work.  If you've made a lot of
changes, it might be easier to look at the differences in the new circle
patch from the one you started with.  Otherwise it's probably easier to
untar the new complete circle system and move your changes to it, since
you know what you've done and what you've had to modify to get things to
work the first time.

> Oh, another question for the general populous.  How would I go about
> creating a patch file to convert one set of files to another?  Is this a
> manual process or is there something that will accomplish this task
> automatically?

If you're talking about code patches, manual patches are usually the only
way to go.  If you're talking about converting data files (.zon, .mob,
etc) it's not too hard to write a short routine to convert those.

Sam