Re: Using lex and yacc for parsing (fwd)

From: Edward Almasy (almasy@axis.com)
Date: 11/02/95

Sammy writes:
> From my experience with big code in foreign languages, it seems to be
> less confusing if you have no knowledge of C when you start workin on a
> mud.  Those of you who, like me, don't know the difference between a
> preparser and a profiler should pity poor Mark, who knows too much about
> programming for his own good.  I can now see that my ignorance is bliss.

I hope that anyone here who shares this attitude will refrain from
posting questions about problems with their code.  As an experienced
C/C++ programmer I am usually happy to help someone fix a problem and
learn more about the language, but debugging code for someone who
can't be bothered to consult a programming manual or learn the details
of the language is another matter entirely.

> I'm all for a more powerful parser, just don't make me put any more tools
> on my harddrive (I'm at 98% capacity)

I think that introducing lex and yacc into the code base is a bad
idea, not because they fill up your hard drive (most development tools
under UN*X don't take up significant space), but because it introduces
a whole new suite of portability issues and requires a new knowledge
base on the part of the developer, without giving much in return.

("A more powerful parser" sounds great, but what does it actually get
you in a MUD?  This isn't Eliza.)

>                                       and keep in mind that some of us
> think programming manuals are evil.

Ignorance is bliss, indeed.

 \_\_\_     _/ \_\_\_  axis data: specializing in online system setup & design
 \_  \_     _/ \_  \_    Edward Almasy                       almasy@axis.com
 \_\_\_     _/ \_\_\_    President: Axis Data       Proprietor: NineJackNine
     \_ _/  _/     \_    608-256-5732 (voice)            608-256-5697 (data)
 \_\_\_ _/_/_/ \_\_\_  9jack9: on the bleeding edges of culture and technology