Re: Using lex and yacc for parsing (fwd)

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 11/01/95

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, Billy H. Chan (~{3B:FH;~}) wrote:

> > From: Naved A Surve <naved@bird.taponline.com>
>
> > In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.951101095348.26184A-100000@sleepy.cc.utexas.edu> you
> > said:
> >
> > > Of course, this probably won't do a whole lot in ANSI C,
> >
> > What language was CircleMUD written in again?
> >
> It's in Cobol isn't it?  The finance tech support here are having a ball
> trying to figure out how those shops work.  With the markup they have,
> it's amazing how many Laws of Economics are being invalidated.
> <smirk for the humour impaired...>
> -Billy H. Chan	~{3B:FH;~}		    <bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu>
>  For more, check out http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~bhchan
>  Vowed never EVER to drink diet Pepsi, after re-reading e-mails sent
>  under the influence (ESUI)

>From my experience with big code in foreign languages, it seems to be
less confusing if you have no knowledge of C when you start workin on a
mud.  Those of you who, like me, don't know the difference between a
preparser and a profiler should pity poor Mark, who knows too much about
programming for his own good.  I can now see that my ignorance is bliss.
Though I've never seen a yacc (except in magazines) and don't know who
lex is, I do know how to get my code to compile and work right after no
more than 10-15 tries (using my favorite spell-checker and
syntax-checker, gcc).

I'm all for a more powerful parser, just don't make me put any more tools
on my harddrive (I'm at 98% capacity) and keep in mind that some of us
think programming manuals are evil.

Sam
code's like he eats -- ewwwwwwww!