Re: Using lex and yacc for parsing (fwd)

From: Mark Coletti (mcoletti@listserv.clark.net)
Date: 11/07/95

Sammy pounded furiously on the keyboard:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, Billy H. Chan (~{3B:FH;~}) wrote:
>
> > > From: Naved A Surve <naved@bird.taponline.com>

> > > What language was CircleMUD written in again?
> > >
> > It's in Cobol isn't it?  The finance tech support here are having a ball

	[...]

> From my experience with big code in foreign languages, it seems to be
> less confusing if you have no knowledge of C when you start workin on a

	[...]

> preparser and a profiler should pity poor Mark, who knows too much about
> programming for his own good.  I can now see that my ignorance is bliss.
> Though I've never seen a yacc (except in magazines) and don't know who
> lex is, I do know how to get my code to compile and work right after no
> more than 10-15 tries (using my favorite spell-checker and
> syntax-checker, gcc).

	Ooo.  Glad I can accept messages with the sarcasm bit set!  %-)

> I'm all for a more powerful parser, just don't make me put any more tools
> on my harddrive (I'm at 98% capacity) and keep in mind that some of us
> think programming manuals are evil.

	Just in case there are those who have a ironic sense of humor
failure and don't take this with the appropriately large grain of
salt: lex and yacc come lock, stock, and barrel with all unix systems.
<smirk>

> Sam
> code's like he eats -- ewwwwwwww!

	That would explain the coffee rings and King Don chocolate
crumbs.  =8-)

Mark
--
Mark Coletti                       |  DBA Systems, Inc.  Fairfax, VA
mcoletti@clark.net                 |  United States Geological Survey