FAQ: iedit/redit

From: Billy H. Chan (~{3B:FH;~}) (bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu)
Date: 11/20/95

Some one keep this and mail it whenever someone asks about iedit/redit,
please.

iedit/redit: Known bugs...
	Both may cause numeric misalignment in the game.  This is a bug
that should be looked into, but probably won't.  This is most evident
when adding items/rooms in-btween existing ones.  ie: adding item 3 after
having item 2 and item 4.  It will cause some strange misalignments,
normally during character save/reload.  Rooms don't seem to cause as much
problems.

iedit/redit: Work-around...
	If you're like me and don't have time to debug someone else's code
while busy debugging your own, then this work-around is for you.  It only
helps those starting wld/obj from scratch (like me).  Make and use stub
files.  Basically, a stub file contains all the objects that could exist
within that file (for objs) or rooms (for wlds).  Ie: predefine dummy objects
that you will later edit, and dummy rooms you'll later use.

Sample stubs are available with the LostLands release, which is basically
circle with lots of junk added.  The README_LOSTLANDS hopefully says it all
(and then some).  I suggest getting the stub files from there... it can
be found in ftp://ftp.wrs.com/pub/billy/Lostlands1.00
it's updated every now and then when I put something new in... please report
bugs, if you trash your mud... that's your silliness... make backups before
you add any code that is not your own.  Code safely, use a ... RCS (comes
with linux and suns, at least).
-Billy H. Chan	~{3B:FH;~}		    <bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu>
 MechWarrior II Addict		Red Planet Veteran (Blocker)
 "Argh! My 'O' key is broken!!" - famous last words
 "If you're going under 100kph, you might as well stand still"  - Strom