Re: CODE: Intros Revisited

From: ShadowLord (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 06/28/96

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Jeeves wrote:

> 1) Put calls to it in the act() function where it sends messages to
> the actor and the victim. This is easy. However, a different function
> would have to be called in the part that sends the message to the
> room, checking the intro arrays of everyone in the room to see if
> they have been intro'd to the actor. This gets a little harder when
> dealing with the shout command, as everyone in the zone would have to
> be checked.

This, to me, seems like the easier solution.  It might take some reworking
of act(), but mainly trivial stuff, IMHO.  Look at the CAN_SEE things in
perform_act.  It shouldn't be too hard to adapt that to the introduction
system.  As a matter of fact, the PERS macro might even work with a bit of
modifications.

> 2) Intercept every call to act() with the introd() function. Seems
> easier, but I'm not sure how to do it. This would set up two versions
> of act()'s output...one for intro'd chars, one for unintro'd chars.
> It would be a simple matter to determine which to use on who.

Tedious, time-consuming, and prone to present problems if you ever change
the introd() function.  Not to mention the fact it's easy to forget to put
a call somewhere,  or to incorrectly call introd().  IMHO, functions were
meant to cut down on repetion of common code.  Calling the same function
all over the code for the same reason is counter-initiative.  Go with #1.

	-dak