CODE: RE: Consider (nontechnical issues)

From: Billy H. Chan (bhchan@po.EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 07/02/96

On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, George wrote:

> Also wrote a fairly unwieldly function called do_consider after I
> saw how simple Jeremy's was...(mortals at level 1 considering mobs
> to be mad and then killing them in one stroke tipped me off too)

Well, this post will only apply if you are into role-playing more than
hack and slash.  Imagine yourself facing an unknown monster.  If you
'consider' it, you would only have the following to go by:
	Monster's visible means of attacking you (claw/bite/etc)
	Monster's Size
	General scariness of the monster, body-shape, demeanor
	(maybe rumors, legends)
You won't really get the info about its:
	THAC0
	AC
	Max Hit points
	Level
	Dam Roll
	full Monstrous Compendium entry on its stats
	etc.
So, the whole 'consider' command, in my opinion, is flawed.  You could
estimate it's THACO, AC, etc., but then, you'd have to be pretty high
level to do it.
It also takes the guess work involved out of the game.  First time you
come up to an Orc (think back to when you were... 11, playing your first
D&D game).  All you had to go by (unless you cheated and looked in the DMG)
was it's description.
So, it would make more sense to write 'consider' as a brief synopsis of the
monster:  "It's much bigger than you.  It looks fairly well armored."  and
maybe a "I wouldn't do it if I were you."
When people rely on the game to give them advice about what monsters can/
should be attempted, I think it takes the 'unknown' out of it.  Where's the
thrill of beating an aboleth if you knew before hand that it's "easy".  If
the going gets rough, that's when you recall or flee.
Bottom line: Too good of a 'consider' will possible detract from the
	excitement of exploration.

Of course, these are just my own opinion.  What's yours?
-- Billy  H. Chan     bhchan@po.eecs.berkeley.edu  bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu
   CogSci/CompSci     http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~bhchan     ResumeInside