Re: CODE: RE: Consider (nontechnical issues)

From: George (gagreer@dragon.ham.muohio.edu)
Date: 07/02/96

On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Billy H. Chan wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, George wrote:
>
> > Also wrote a fairly unwieldly function called do_consider after I
> > saw how simple Jeremy's was...(mortals at level 1 considering mobs
> > to be mad and then killing them in one stroke tipped me off too)
> >

> Well, this post will only apply if you are into role-playing more than
> hack and slash.  Imagine yourself facing an unknown monster.  If you
> 'consider' it, you would only have the following to go by:
> 	Monster's visible means of attacking you (claw/bite/etc)
> 	Monster's Size
> 	General scariness of the monster, body-shape, demeanor
> 	(maybe rumors, legends)
> You won't really get the info about its:
> 	THAC0
> 	AC
> 	Max Hit points
> 	Level
> 	Dam Roll
> 	full Monstrous Compendium entry on its stats
> 	etc.
> So, the whole 'consider' command, in my opinion, is flawed.  You could

I was trying to eliminate considering fidos at MAD and then killing in
one shot, if you wish to add a certain random element to the consider
that's possible.  But as it currently considers Levels, how would you
know those?

> It also takes the guess work involved out of the game.  First time you

Make it somewhat random or less accurate.

> come up to an Orc (think back to when you were... 11, playing your first
> D&D game).  All you had to go by (unless you cheated and looked in the DMG)
> was it's description.
> So, it would make more sense to write 'consider' as a brief synopsis of the
> monster:  "It's much bigger than you.  It looks fairly well armored."  and
> maybe a "I wouldn't do it if I were you."
> When people rely on the game to give them advice about what monsters can/
> should be attempted, I think it takes the 'unknown' out of it.  Where's the
> thrill of beating an aboleth if you knew before hand that it's "easy".  If

Because the consider doesn't factor in casting spells or sanctuary or
other effects, or even special procedures they have.

> the going gets rough, that's when you recall or flee.
> Bottom line: Too good of a 'consider' will possible detract from the
> 	excitement of exploration.

If you make it too accurate, yes it's possible to.

-George