[NEWBIE]Patching (Having problems with it)

From: Dragon (Reddragon@greatbasin.com)
Date: 10/27/96

However, I am REALLY confused when it comes to patches.  I get 'hunk errors'
alot, and I belived this is do to the fact that most patches are configured
for stock circle.  My question is, how do i read a patch file's format so i
can manually add the code myself.  Or rather how can I make the patch work
with my copy (which has been edited alot).  Thanks for any help!